<< A-Z >>
This is the burial place of the Habsburgs’ in Vienna. It is also known as the Imperial Crypt. The crypt lines beneath the Capuchins’ Church on Neue Markt.
Empress Anna decreed the founding of the crypt in her testament in 1618. Her mortal remains were transferred to the crypt in 1633.
The Imperial Crypt is meanwhile the resting place of 12 emperors, 19 empresses and many other members of the Habsburg family or Habsburg-Lothringen family, respectively; 138 people. 4 urns containing hearts are to be found here. Part of the burial ceremony of the Habsburg’s involved the separate burial of the body, entrails and the heart. The heart was buried in the heart crypt in St. Augustine’s Church, and the entrails were buried in the catacombs of St. Stephen’s Cathedral..