The Vienna town hall was constructed from 1872 to 1883 in accordance with designs by the architect Friedrich von Schmidt. It is the seat of both the mayor of Vienna and Vienna city council. The exterior, most notably the 105-meter-high tower, is inspired by the style of Flemish town halls of the Gothic period and ties in with the tradition of urban leisure areas. The layout, with its seven courtyards, nevertheless is more in line with the conception of baroque palaces. At the top of the tower stands the “Rathausman”, an armour-suited iron figure measuring 3.5 metres.